LAST UPDATED: January 2019
PLEASE READ THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS CAREFULLY, AS THEY MAY AFFECT YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS, INCLUDING HOW YOU MAY RESOLVE DISPUTES. PLEASE NOTE THAT THESE TERMS MAY REQUIRE YOU TO SUBMIT DISPUTES TO ARBITRATION. YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO OPT OUT OF THE BINDING ARBITRATION AND CLASS ACTION WAIVER PROVISIONS AS DESCRIBED IN SECTION 21. FURTHER, THESE TERM INCLUDE IMPORTANT INFORMATION IN SECTION 7 REGARDING OUR CONTINUITY SHIPMENT AND AUTOMATIC RENEWAL PROGRAMS AND CANCELLATION POLICIES.
1. Acceptance of Terms. The Site and Services are made available by PLI subject to this Agreement. PLI reserves the right to update or make changes to this Agreement from time to time and may provide you with notice of such changes by any reasonable means, including without limitation, by posting the revised version of this Agreement on the Site or in connection with the Services. You can determine when this Agreement was last revised by referring to the “LAST UPDATED” legend at the top of this Agreement. Your access to or use of the Site or Services following changes to this Agreement will constitute your acceptance of those changes. Any changes to this Agreement shall not apply to any dispute between you and PLI arising prior to the date on which PLI posted the revised version of this Agreement incorporating such changes or otherwise notified you of such changes. When using any Services, you agree that you are subject to any additional terms and conditions posted by us that are applicable to such Services, which are hereby incorporated by reference into this Agreement. In particular, if you are an authorized user of PLI PLUS, your access to and use of PLI PLUS is governed by the Subscription Agreement between you and/or your organization and PLI with respect to PLI PLUS. In the event of a conflict between the provisions of this Agreement and the applicable PLI PLUS Subscription Agreement, the terms of the PLI PLUS Subscription Agreement govern with respect to access to and use of PLI PLUS.
BY ACCESSING OR USING THE SITE OR SERVICES, YOU AFFIRM THAT YOU ARE OF LEGAL AGE TO ENTER INTO THIS AGREEMENT AND THAT YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS AGREEMENT.
We reserve the right, at any time and from time to time, temporarily or permanently, in whole or in part, to: modify or discontinue the Site or Services, with or without notice; charge fees in connection with the use of the Site or Services; modify or waive any fees charged in connection with the Site or Services; or offer opportunities to some or all users of the Site or Services. You agree that we shall not be liable to you or to any third party for any modification, suspension or discontinuance of the Site or of any Service, content, feature or product, in whole or in part. Your continued access to or use of the Site or Services after such changes will indicate your acceptance of such changes.
2. Site and Services Information.We provide users of the Site and/or Services with access to certain content and services related to continuing legal education, which may include, without limitation: (a) seminar registration; (b) live streaming media (e.g., webcasts and groupcasts) and on-demand streaming media; (c) downloadable audio and video courses; (d) simulated testing software; (e) downloadable presentation materials; (f) downloadable publications; (g) blogs; (h) transcripts; and (i) non-downloadable eEditions (as described further below) (such content and services also part of the “Services”).
The quality (e.g., the resolution) of streaming content, as well as the download speed of downloadable content, may be affected by a variety of factors such as your location, the content being streamed or downloaded and the speed of your Internet connection. PLI makes no representation or warranty regarding access to content available through the Site or in connection with Services, including the quality of streaming content and the download speed of downloadable content.
The content provided through the Site and/or or in connection with the Services is designed to provide practical and useful information on the subject matter covered. WHILE SUCH CONTENT MAY CONCERN LEGAL ISSUES, ACCOUNTING ISSUES OR OTHER ISSUES RELATED TO PROFESSIONAL SERVICES, SUCH CONTENT IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE, ACCOUNTING ADVICE OR OTHER PROFESSIONAL SERVICES ADVICE. YOU SHOULD NOT ACT OR REFRAIN FROM ACTING ON THE BASIS OF ANY CONTENT INCLUDED ON THIS SITE OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SERVICES WITHOUT SEEKING LEGAL ADVICE OF COUNSEL IN THE RELEVANT JURISDICTION, OR THE ADVICE OF A COMPETENT PROFESSIONAL IN THE APPLICABLE SUBJECT MATTER. PLI EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL LIABILITY IN RESPECT OF ACTIONS TAKEN OR NOT TAKEN BASED ON ANY CONTENT OF THIS SITE OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SERVICES. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT THE CONTENT IS NOT PROVIDED FOR THE PURPOSE OF RENDERING LEGAL, ACCOUNTING OR OTHER PROFESSIONAL SERVICES. IF YOU BELIEVE YOU REQUIRE LEGAL ADVICE OR OTHER EXPERT ASSISTANCE, YOU SHOULD SEEK THE SERVICES OF A COMPETENT PROFESSIONAL.
USE OF THE SITE AND/OR SERVICES IS NOT INTENDED TO CONSTITUTE, AND DOES NOT CONSTITUTE, A SOLICITATION FOR THE FORMATION OF AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP IS CREATED THROUGH YOUR USE OF THE SITE OR SERVICES. MOREOVER, NEITHER RECEIPT OF INFORMATION PRESENTED ON THE SITE OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SERVICES NOR ANY EMAIL OR OTHER ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATION SENT THROUGH THE SITE OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SERVICES WILL CREATE AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP, AND ANY SUCH EMAIL OR COMMUNICATION WILL NOT BE TREATED AS CONFIDENTIAL.
3. Jurisdictional Issues. The Site and the Services are controlled and operated by PLI from the United States, and are not intended to subject PLI to the laws or jurisdiction of any state, country or territory other than that of the United States. PLI neither represents nor warrants that the Site or the Services or any part thereof is appropriate or available for use in any particular jurisdiction other than the United States. In choosing to access the Site or Services, you do so on your own initiative and at your own risk, and you are responsible for complying with all local laws, rules and regulations. You are also subject to United States export controls and are responsible for any violations of such controls, including any United States embargoes or other federal rules and regulations restricting exports. We may limit the availability of the Site or the Services, in whole or in part, to any person, geographic area or jurisdiction we choose, at any time. Not all products or services described on the Site or the Services are available in all states or territories.
5. Rules of Conduct. You must comply with all applicable laws, rules and regulations while accessing or using the Site and/or Services. In addition, we expect users to respect the rights and dignity of others. Your use of the Site and/or Services is conditioned upon your compliance with the rules set forth in this section. You must not:
Post, transmit, or otherwise make available, through or in connection with the Site or Services,(a) anything that could be (i) threatening, harassing, discriminatory, degrading, hateful or intimidating; (ii) defamatory, fraudulent or otherwise tortious; (iii) obscene, indecent, pornographic or otherwise objectionable; or (iv) related to alcohol, wagering, gambling, tobacco products, ammunition or firearms; (b) anything that could give rise to criminal or civil liability (including any material protected by copyright, trademark, trade secret, right of publicity, or any other proprietary right for which you do not have the express prior consent of the owner of such right or in violation of any contractual, fiduciary or other legal obligation), or that encourages conduct that would constitute a criminal offense; (c) any virus, worm, Trojan horse, Easter egg, time bomb, spyware, or other computer code, file or program that is potentially harmful or invasive, or may or is intended to damage or hijack the operation of, or to monitor the use of, any hardware, software or equipment;(d) any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional material, "junk mail," "spam," "chain letter," "pyramid scheme," investment opportunity or other form of solicitation; or (e) any material, non-public information about a company or any securities or other financial instrument, without the proper authorization to do so.
Use the Site or Services (a) to defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten, harvest or collect personally identifiable information, or otherwise violate the legal rights of others, including rights of privacy or publicity; (b) to impersonate any person or entity, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with any person or entity, or state or imply that we endorse any of your statements or Submissions (as defined below); or (c) for any other fraudulent or unlawful purpose.
Interfere with or disrupt the operation of the Site or Services or the servers or networks used to make the Site or Services available (including by taking any action that imposes an unreasonable or disproportionately large load upon the Site or in connection with the Services or upon such servers or networks) or violate any requirements, procedures, policies or regulations of such servers or networks.
Restrict or inhibit any other person from using the Site or Services (including by hacking or defacing the Site).
Use the Site or Services to advertise or offer to sell or buy any goods or services.
License, sublicense, transfer, assign, reproduce, duplicate, copy, sell, resell, distribute, or exploit for any commercial purposes the Site or Services or any access to or use of the Site or Services.
Modify, adapt, make derivate works of, translate, reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the Site or Services.
Remove any copyright, trademark or other proprietary rights notice from the Site or Services or any materials available through the Site or Services.
Frame or mirror any part of the Site or Services without PLI’s express prior written consent.
Systematically download or store content from the Site or Services.
Use any robot, spider, site search/retrieval application or other manual or automatic device to retrieve, index, “scrape,” “data mine” or in any way gather content of the Site or in connection with the Services or reproduce or circumvent the navigational structure or presentation of the Site or Services without PLI’s express prior written consent. Notwithstanding the foregoing, PLI grants the operators of public search engines permission to use spiders to copy materials from the Site for the sole purpose of and solely to the extent necessary for creating publicly available searchable indices of the materials, but not caches or archives of such materials. PLI reserves the right to revoke these exceptions either generally or in specific cases.
Additionally, you acknowledge and agree that you (and not PLI) are responsible for obtaining and maintaining all telecommunications, broadband, and computer hardware, equipment and services needed to access and use the Site or Services, and paying all charges related thereto.
We may terminate your use of the Site or Services for any conduct that we consider to be inappropriate, or for your breach of this Agreement, including the Rules of Conduct set forth above (including, without limitation, if you repeatedly engage in copyright infringement via or in connection with the Site or Services).
6. Registration; User Names and Passwords. You may need to register to use all or part of the Site or Services, and/or to access eEditions as described further below. You represent and warrant that all information submitted to PLI in connection with such registration is complete and accurate. We may reject, or require that you change, for any reason, any user name, password or other information that you provide to us in registering. Your user name and password are for your personal use only and should be kept confidential; you (and not PLI) are responsible for any use or misuse of your user name or password, and you must promptly notify us of any confidentiality breach or unauthorized use of your user name or password, or your account. We are not liable for any loss or damage arising from your failure to comply with any of the foregoing obligations.
7. Book Purchases; eEdition Purchases; Upkeep Service; Subscription Renewal Service; & Automatic Shipments Return Policy (updated as of January 14, 2019).
BOOK PURCHASES: 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed. If you’re not satisfied with your purchase for any reason, simply return it within 30 days for a full refund. Shipments returned must be in the same condition as when they were sent.
Please call us at 800.260.4754 to receive a prepaid shipping label before returning your purchase. For proper credit, you must include a copy of your invoice or packing slip which were sent with your shipment. All returns go to:
Practising Law Institute
1780 Crossroads Dr.
Odenton, MD 21113
eEDITION PURCHASES: Please note that all e-book (“eEditions”) sales, whether or not subject to the Subscription Renewal Service described in further detail below, are final and non-refundable. eEditions are accessible only via the applications made available via PLI and are non-downloadable. You may access eEditions from a maximum of five (5) active compatible devices, via use of the PLI-provided applications. eEditions are intended for your single, personal use only and are accessible only via a unique password and username combination. As set forth in Section 6 above, you are responsible for the security of your password and username combination and may not share these credentials with any third parties.
Subject to the terms and conditions set forth herein, PLI grants you a worldwide, non-exclusive, fully paid up (upon payment of applicable fees), non-sublicenseable, non-transferable right and license to access and use eEditions during the license or subscription term identified at the time of your purchase. For the avoidance of doubt, PLI guarantees your access to any eEdition for the term of the license and/or subscription term identified at the time of your purchase only. While you may have the ability to continue to access your eEdition after the expiration of your license or subscription term, and PLI will use reasonable efforts to continue to allow your access to the eEdition in its then-current format, PLI does not guarantee and makes no warranties with respect to your ability to access any eEdition after the expiration of your license or subscription, and will not be responsible for any post-term technical support.
If your purchase includes “Upkeep Service,” your purchase will also sign you up for our “Upkeep Service” continuity shipment plan, whereby you will receive future automatic shipments of updates, new editions and supplements to this edition as they become available for a 30-day preview. Updates, new editions and supplements published within 90 days of your purchase will be issued free of charge; all other updates will be subject to an additional charge if kept beyond the 30-day preview period, invoiced at the time of delivery.
Upkeep Service Cancellation Policy: This service will continue until canceled by you at any time by calling 800.260.4754 (Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Eastern Time), emailing email@example.com, or returning any automatic shipment within the 30 day preview period.
Updates sent pursuant to our upkeep service are shipped via United States Postal Service (USPS) and standard shipping charges of $7.50 (and $5 for each additional item) apply.
SUBSCRIPTION RENEWAL SERVICE:
If your purchase includes “Subscription Renewal Service,” we will automatically charge you an annual subscription fee. You will be automatically charged this subscription fee at the end of each 12-month period, unless you cancel your subscription in accordance with these terms.
Subscription Renewal Service Cancellation Policy: This service will continue until canceled by you at any time by calling 800.260.4754 (Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Eastern Time), or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Shipping. PLI offers free shipping for all domestic prepaid orders. All domestic prepaid orders are shipped via United Parcel Services (UPS) unless another method of shipment is specified. Please note that UPS does not deliver to PO Boxes. Next day shipment is available if the order is placed before 2:00 pm Eastern Time at an additional cost of $35 for the first book and $5 for each additional book. PLI reserves the right to change its pricing for any and all of its products offered via the Site and Services, including without limitation eEdition pricing, at any time in its sole and absolute discretion without notice.
8. Forums. We and our service providers may make available through the Site or Services certain services (for example, message boards, forums, blogs, chat functionality, messaging functionality and comment functionality, among other services) to which you are able to post information and materials (each, a “Forum”).
Information contained in Forums may be provided by employees of PLI as well as by third-party visitors to the Site or Services. Please note that visitors to the Site or Services may post messages or make statements in the Forums that are inaccurate, misleading or deceptive. PLI and its directors, officers, employees, representatives, affiliates, licensors and service providers (collectively, with PLI, the “PLI Entities”) neither endorse nor are responsible for any opinion, advice, information or statements made in the Forums by third parties. Without limitation, the PLI Entities are not responsible for any information or materials made available through the Forums (including errors or omissions in Forum postings or links or images embedded in Forum postings) or results obtained by using any such information or materials. Under no circumstances will the PLI Entities be liable for any loss or damage caused by your reliance on such information or materials. The opinions expressed in the Forums reflect solely the opinions of the individuals who submitted such opinions, and may not reflect the opinions of PLI.
In addition, the PLI Entities have no control over, and shall have no liability for, any damages resulting from the use (including republication) or misuse by any third party information voluntarily made public through a Forum or any other part of the Site or Services. IF YOU CHOOSE TO MAKE ANY OF YOUR PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE OR OTHER INFORMATION PUBLICLY AVAILABLE IN A FORUM OR OTHERWISE ON THE SITE OR SERVICES, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK.
9. Submissions. The Site or Services may make available certain functionality (including Forums and e-mail addresses) through which you are able to post, send or make available information and materials (each, a “Submission”). For purposes of clarity, you retain any ownership rights that you may have in any of the Submissions that you post, subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement. For each Submission that you make available through or in connection with the Site or Services, you hereby grant to us a world-wide, royalty-free, fully paid-up, non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, transferable and fully sublicensable (through multiple tiers) license, without additional consideration to you or any third party, to reproduce, distribute, perform and display (publicly or otherwise), adapt, modify and otherwise use and exploit such Submission, in any format or media now known or here after developed, and for any purpose (including promotional purposes, such as displaying a user comment on the front page of the Site or Services as a testimonial), and you hereby represent and warrant that you have all necessary rights to grant the foregoing license. We may use Submissions for any purpose whatsoever without compensation to you or any other person. You are and remain responsible and liable for the content of any Submission.
Without limiting the rights granted above, if you are speaking or otherwise presenting at a PLI program, you consent to PLI’s recording of such presentation in connection with such PLI program (including any PowerPoint slides you use) (“Program Presentation”) and to the publication, distribution, exhibition and display of any Program Presentation. With regard to any written materials you submit in connection with a PLI program (“Program Submission”), you also consent to PLI’s reproduction, publication, distribution, exhibition and display of such Program Submissions. PLI may exercise or license these rights in all forms and media, whether now known or later developed, throughout the world. Your consent is irrevocable and extends to PLI and its successors, assigns and licensees, and includes the right to use your name, photograph, likeness, voice, statements and professional biography. PLI will not edit or change your presentation or materials.
All of the rights you are granting to PLI herein with respect to Program Presentations and Program Submissions are nonexclusive, and nothing will prevent you from repeating your Program Presentation and republishing your Program Submission elsewhere. You recognize that PLI, as the program producer, will be the copyright owner of the recording of any Program Presentation and the course handbook compilation (and similar compilations of Program Submissions).
You confirm that you have the authority to grant the foregoing nonexclusive license relating to Program Presentations and Program Submissions and that your Program Presentation and Program Submission will not violate the rights of anyone else. You also confirm that, to the extent your Program Presentation or Program Submission includes third party material, you have obtained permission for the use of such third party material consistent with the scope of this license. Upon PLI’s request, you agree to provide PLI with satisfactory evidence of your permission to use all third-party material by completing the “PLI Reprint Permission Form” or comparable evidence of reprint permission.
If you speak or otherwise present at a PLI program, you certify that you are an attorney in good standing with the bar or bars to which you are admitted and that you have never been disbarred; or, if you are not an attorney admitted to practice law, you certify that you have never been disbarred.
10. Feedback. Unless we expressly agree otherwise in writing, if you provide us with any ideas, proposals, suggestions or materials (including training materials) (“Input”), whether related to the Site, the Services or otherwise, you hereby acknowledge and agree that (a) your provision of any Input is gratuitous, unsolicited and without restriction and does not place PLI under any fiduciary or other obligation; and (b) any Input is not confidential and PLI has no confidentiality obligations with respect to such Input. Without limiting the foregoing, all Input shall be deemed a Submission and licensed to us pursuant to Section 8, above.
11. Monitoring. We may (but have no obligation to) monitor, evaluate or alter Submissions before or after they appear on the Site or in connection with the Services. We may disclose any Submissions and the circumstances surrounding their transmission to anyone for any reason or purpose.
12. PLI's Proprietary Rights. We and/or our licensors and suppliers own the information and materials made available through the Site and/or Services. Such information and materials are protected by copyright, trademark, patent and/or other proprietary rights and laws. Except as expressly authorized in advance by us, you agree not to reproduce, modify, rent, lease, loan, sell, distribute or create derivative works based on, all or any part of the Site or Services or any information or materials made available through the Site or Services.
Trade names, trademarks and service marks on the Sites or Services, including without limitation PRACTISING LAW INSTITUTE, PLI, the PLI logo and PATENT BAR REVIEW, are owned by PLI, PLI’s licensors or other respective owners. Such trade names, trademarks and service marks, whether registered or unregistered, may not be used in connection with any product or service that is not ours, or in any manner that is likely to cause confusion. Nothing contained on the Site or Services should be construed as granting, by implication, estoppel or otherwise, any license or right to use any such trade names, trademarks or service marks without the express prior written consent of the owner.
13. Purchases. We may make available products and services for purchase through the Site or Services, and we may use third-party suppliers and service providers to enable e-commerce functionality on our Site or Services. If you wish to purchase any product or service made available by us through the Site or Services or through our telephone, mail-order, telemarketing efforts, customer service representatives, account representatives or other sales channels (each such purchase, a “Transaction”), you may be asked to supply certain information relevant to your Transaction, including without limitation your credit card number, the expiration date of your credit card, your billing address, and your shipping information. YOU REPRESENT AND WARRANT THAT YOU HAVE THE LEGAL RIGHT TO USE ANY CREDIT CARD(S) UTILIZED IN CONNECTION WITH ANY TRANSACTION. By submitting such information, you grant to PLI the right to provide such information to third parties for purposes of facilitating the completion of Transactions initiated by you or on your behalf. Verification of information may be required prior to the acknowledgment or completion of any Transaction.
PLI reserves the right, with or without prior notice, to limit the available quantity of or discontinue any product or service; to not honor, or impose conditions on the honoring of, any coupon, coupon code, promotional code or other similar promotions; to bar any user from making any or all Transaction(s); and/or to refuse to provide any user with any product or service. Refunds and exchanges will be subject to PLI’s refund and exchange policies in effect, which include but are not limited to the following:
If you are not satisfied with any PLI treatise, title or supplement (excluding eEditions), you may return it within thirty (30) days of purchase for a full refund. eEditions sales are final and non-refundable.
If you wish to cancel a reservation for a live program, cancellations must be received three (3) business days prior to the start of the program in order to receive a complete refund. If PLI fails to receive your cancellation three (3) business days prior to the start of the program, payment is due in full.
If you wish to substitute another individual to attend a live program in your place, you may substitute such individual to attend the program at any time prior to the start of the program.
You agree to pay all charges that may be incurred by you or on your behalf through the Site or Services, at the price(s) in effect when such charges are incurred, including without limitation all shipping and handling charges. In addition, you remain responsible for any taxes that may be applicable to your Transactions.
You agree that if you purchase any products or services from us in a Transaction, you will not resell such products or services unless we have provided our express prior written consent to do so.
14. Accuracy of Information; Products, Content and Specifications. We attempt to ensure that information provided on or in connection with the Site or Services is complete, accurate and current. Despite our efforts, such information may occasionally be inaccurate, incomplete or out of date. Accordingly, we make no representation as to the completeness, accuracy or currentness of such information, including all descriptions, images, references, features, content, specifications, products and prices of products and services described or depicted on the Site or Services. Such information is also subject to change at any time without notice. Descriptions and images of, and references to, third-party products or services available in connection with the Site or Services do not imply PLI’s endorsement of such third-party products or services. Certain weights, measures and similar descriptions are approximate and are provided for convenience purposes only. The inclusion of any products or services on the Site or Services at a particular time does not imply or warrant that these products or services will be available at any time. It is your responsibility to ascertain and obey all applicable local, state, federal and international laws (including minimum age requirements) in regard to the possession, use and sale of any item purchased from the Site or in connection with the Services. By placing an order, you represent that the products ordered will be used only in a lawful manner.
15. Shipping. PLI generally provides free shipping on all U.S. ground orders. PLI waives regular shipping and handling fees for all prepaid web orders in the United States, U.S. possessions and Canada. Please allow seven (7) to fourteen (14) business days for delivery. PLI will not ship items to a P.O. box. If you require expedited shipping, please call our customer service department at 800.260.4PLI. PLI does not provide expedited shipping for CD and DVD products. PLI may not be able to cancel your order after we have started the shipping process.
PLI shall have the right, at any time, to block links to the Site or Services through technological or other means without prior notice.
17. DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES. THE SITE, SERVICES AND ANY GOODS MADE AVAILABLE THROUGH OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SITE OR SERVICES ARE PROVIDED TO YOU “AS IS” WITHOUT ANY WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR STATUTORY. YOU AGREE THAT YOU MUST EVALUATE, AND THAT YOU BEAR ALL RISKS ASSOCIATED WITH, THE USE OF THE SITE OR SERVICES, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY RELIANCE ON THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS OR USEFULNESS OF ANY MATERIALS AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SITE OR SERVICES. THE PLI ENTITIES DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES WITH RESPECT TO THE SITE, SERVICES AND ANY GOODS OBTAINER OR MADE AVAILABLE THROUGH OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SITE OR SERVICES (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, THIRD PARTY PRODUCTS AND SERVICES) TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMISSIBLE UNDER APPLICABLE LAW, INCLUDING THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, NONINFRINGEMENT AND TITLE.
18. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. THE PLI ENTITIES WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, UNDER ANY CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE, STRICT LIABILITY OR OTHER THEORY, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS, USE, DATA, LOSS OF OTHER INTANGIBLES, LOSS OF SECURITY OF INFORMATION YOU HAVE PROVIDED IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR USE OF THE SITE OR SERVICES , OR UNAUTHORIZED INTERCEPTION OF ANY SUCH INFORMATION BY THIRD PARTIES, EVEN IF ADVISED IN ADVANCE OF SUCH DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN PARTICULAR, AND WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE PLI ENTITIES WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND RESULTING FROM YOUR ACCESS TO OR USE OF, OR INABILITY TO ACCESS OR USE, THE SITE OR SERVICES, OR FROM ANY CONTENT POSTED ON THE SITE OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SERVICES BY PLI OR ANY THIRD PARTY. YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY FOR DISSATISFACTION WITH THE SITE OR SERVICES IS TO STOP USING THE SITE OR SERVICES. THE MAXIMUM LIABILITY OF PLI FOR ALL DAMAGES, LOSSES AND CAUSES OF ACTION, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION NEGLIGENCE) OR OTHERWISE, SHALL BE THE TOTAL AMOUNT, IF ANY, PAID BY YOU TO PLI TO ACCESS AND USE THE SITE OR SERVICES.
While we try to maintain the integrity and security of the Site and Services and the servers from which the Site and Services are operated, we do not guarantee that the Site or Services will be or remain secure, complete or correct, or that access to the Site or Services will be uninterrupted. The Site or Services may include inaccuracies, errors and materials that violate or conflict with this Agreement. Additionally, third parties may make unauthorized alterations to the Site or Services. If you become aware of any unauthorized third party alteration to the Site or Services, contact us at email@example.com with a description of the material(s) at issue and the URL or location on the Site or Services where such material(s) appear.
19. Indemnity. Except to the extent prohibited under applicable law, you agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless each of the PLI Entities from and against all claims, losses, costs and expenses (including attorneys’ fees) arising out of (a) your use of, or activities in connection with, the Site or Services; (b) any violation or alleged violation of this Agreement by you; or (c) any claim that any of your Submissions (including any Program Submission) or any use or exploitation thereof caused damage to or infringed upon or violated the rights of a third party, including past, present or future infringement, misappropriation, libel, defamation, invasion of privacy or right of publicity, or violation of any right related to the foregoing.
20. Termination. This Agreement is effective until terminated. PLI may terminate your access to or use of the Site or Services, at any time and for any reason, including if PLI believes that you have violated or acted inconsistently with the letter or spirit of this Agreement. Upon any such termination, your right to access or use the Site or Services will immediately cease. You agree that any termination of your access to or use of the Site or Services may be effected without prior notice, and that PLI may immediately deactivate or delete your password and user name, and all related information and files associated with it, and/or bar any further access to such information or files. You agree that PLI shall not be liable to you or any third party for any termination of your access to the Site or Services or to any such information or files, and shall not be required to make such information or files available to you after any such termination. Sections 2-4, 7-22 and 25 shall survive any expiration or termination of this Agreement.
21. Governing Law and Arbitration. This Agreement is governed by the laws of the State of New York, U.S.A., without regard to its conflicts of law provisions, and regardless of your location. ALL DISPUTES ARISING OUT OF OR RELATED TO THIS AGREEMENT OR ANY ASPECT OF THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN YOU AND PLI, WHETHER BASED IN CONTRACT, TORT, STATUTE, FRAUD, MISREPRESENTATION OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY, SHALL BE RESOLVED THROUGH FINAL AND BINDING ARBITRATION BEFORE A NEUTRAL ARBITRATOR INSTEAD OF IN A COURT BY A JUDGE OR JURY AND, BY YOUR ACCESS TO OR USE OF THIS SITE OR SERVICES, YOU AGREE THAT YOU AND PLI ARE EACH WAIVING OUR RIGHT TO TRIAL BY A JURY. BY YOUR ACCESS TO OR USE OF THE SITE OR SERVICES, YOU AGREE THAT ANY ARBITRATION UNDER THIS AGREEMENT WILL TAKE PLACE ON AN INDIVIDUAL BASIS; CLASS ARBITRATIONS AND CLASS ACTIONS ARE NOT PERMITTED AND, BY YOUR ACCESS TO OR USE OF THE SITE OR SERVICES, YOU ARE AGREEING TO GIVE UP THE ABILITY TO PARTICIPATE IN A CLASS ACTION. The arbitration will be administered by the American Arbitration Association under its Commercial Arbitration Rules, as amended by this Agreement. Any in-person hearings or appearances shall be held in New York County, State of New York, U.S.A. Arbitration proceedings shall be conducted in a manner that preserves confidentiality. The arbitrator's decision shall follow this Agreement and shall be final and binding. The arbitrator shall have authority to award temporary, interim or permanent injunctive relief or relief providing for specific performance of this Agreement, but only to the extent necessary to provide relief warranted by the individual claim before the arbitrator. The award rendered by the arbitrator may be confirmed and enforced in any court having jurisdiction thereof.
22. Contact Us. If you have any questions regarding the meaning or application of this Agreement, please direct such questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that e-mail communications will not necessarily be secure; accordingly you should not include credit card information or other sensitive information in your e-mail correspondence with us.
23. Copyright Infringement Claims. The Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 (the “DMCA”) provides recourse for copyright owners who believe that material appearing on the Internet infringes their rights under U.S. copyright law. If you believe in good faith that materials available on the Site or in connection with the Services infringe your copyright, you (or your agent) may send PLI a written notice by mail, email or fax, requesting that PLI remove the material or block access to it. If you believe in good faith that someone has wrongly filed a notice of copyright infringement against you, the DMCA permits you to send PLI a counter-notice. Notices and counter-notices must meet the then-current statutory requirements imposed by the DMCA. See http://www.copyright.gov/ for details. Notices and counter-notices should be sent to PLI’s DMCA Agent: by mail to Ms. Seema Lal Meehan, DMCA Agent, Practising Law Institute, 1177 Avenue of the Americas, New York, New York, 10036; by email to DMCANotice@PLI.edu; or by fax to 212.824.5871.
We suggest that you consult your legal advisor before submitting a notice or counter-notice.
24. Filtering. Pursuant to 47 U.S.C. Section 230(d) as amended, we hereby notify you that parental control protections (such as computer hardware, software or filtering services) are commercially available that may assist you in limiting access to material that is harmful to minors. Information identifying current providers of such protections is available on the two web sites GetNetWise (http://www.getnetwise.org/) and On Guard Online (http://onguardonline.gov/). Please note that PLI does not endorse any of the products or services listed at such sites.
25. Notice for California Residents. Under California Civil Code Section 1789.3, California users are entitled to the following consumer rights notice: If you have a question or complaint regarding the Site or Services, please contact us by writing to: Director of Marketing, Practising Law Institute, 1177 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10036, or by calling us at 212.824.5700 or sending a fax to 212.293.3053. California residents may reach the Complaint Assistance Unit of the Division of Consumer Services of the California Department of Consumer Affairs by mail at 1625 North Market Blvd., Sacramento, CA 95834, or by telephone at 916.445.1254 or 800.952.5210.
26. Miscellaneous. This Agreement does not, and shall not be construed to, create any partnership, joint venture, employer-employee, agency or franchisor-franchisee relationship between you and PLI. If any provision of this Agreement is found to be unlawful, void or for any reason unenforceable, that provision will be deemed severable from this Agreement and will not affect the validity and enforceability of any remaining provision. You may not assign, transfer or sublicense any or all of your rights or obligations under this Agreement without our express prior written consent, and any prohibited assignment, transfer or sublicense is void. We may assign, transfer or sublicense any or all of our rights or obligations under this Agreement without restriction. No waiver by either party of any breach or default hereunder will be deemed to be a waiver of any preceding or subsequent breach or default. Any heading, caption or section title contained herein is inserted only as a matter of convenience, and in no way defines or explains any section or provision hereof. This, together with all policies referred to herein, is the entire Agreement between you and PLI relating to the subject matter herein and supersedes any and all prior or contemporaneous written or oral agreements or understandings between you and PLI relating to such subject matter. Notices to you may be made via posting to the Site or through the Services, by e-mail, or by regular mail, in PLI's discretion. The Site or Services may also provide notices of changes to this Agreement or other matters by displaying such notices or by providing links to such notices. Without limitation, you agree that a printed version of this Agreement and of any notice given in electronic form shall be admissible in judicial or administrative proceedings based upon or relating to this Agreement to the same extent and subject to the same conditions as other business documents and records originally generated and maintained in printed form. PLI will not be responsible for failures to fulfill any obligations due to causes beyond its control.